When it comes to at-home dental care, there are a ton of options to choose from! Everything from floss type to toothpaste that tastes like bacon or the traditional mint flavor. There are also many choices when it comes to which type of toothbrush to use: Manual or electric? How do you know exactly which one is better than the other?
Before spending big bucks on your next toothbrush, let’s go through the pros and cons of each!
Which one’s better: Electric or manual toothbrush?
Electric toothbrush – PROS:
- Rotating heads provide a deeper clean and can reach more easily in those hard to reach places.
- You don’t need to be a “tooth brushing expert” to clean thoroughly.
- Many have ergonomic handles. Great for those with limited mobility.
Electric toothbrush – CONS:
- More expensive than a manual toothbrush.
- Not as convenient of a travel companion as the manual toothbrush.
- They will need to charge or batteries must be replaced regularly.
Manual toothbrush – PROS:
- Less expensive than an electric toothbrush and its replacement heads.
- Readily available and easy to travel with.
- Puts less pressure on the gums, which is especially important if you already have sensitive teeth. With a manual toothbrush, you are more in control of the amount of pressure you exert.
Manual toothbrush – CONS:
- User may exert too much pressure leading to enamel erosion and increased tooth sensitivity.
- May need to work with your dentist to learn the proper brushing technique.
- For those suffering from arthritis or have limited mobility for another reason, they may find the brush hard to grip.
If you’re still not quite sure which toothbrush would provide the best cleaning, contact us today! We are happy to discuss all of the options with you.